Being a mom isn't easy; I have my good days, and I have my bad ones too...
While I would love to pretend that I am the perfect mother. I am not...and I accept that.
I think that it is important to know your strengths and your weaknesses for any skill set you are trying to master (and yes, I consider parenting a skill), so that you can reflect and make the necessary changes towards improvement.
I'm not putting this information out there for judgement. I'm putting it out there for reflection, and with the hope that maybe you, the reader, will reflect on your own strengths and weaknesses as a parent.
- I am confident...or at least know how to appear to be. I consider this a strength because kids know when you don't know what you're doing, and they will take advantage of that. Remember that if you are confident in what you're doing, they will be too.
- Maddox's well being is always on my mind; I know that everything I do will affect him too.
- I'm understanding- I make an effort to listen and understand Maddox and his feelings.
- I heal owies and booboos with my kisses ;)
- I have finally found my mom voice and mommy evil eye. When Maddox is acting up, I think I have finally perfected the stern voice and mommy evil eye that lets him know that whatever he is doing is unacceptable! My mother and grandmother were pros...hell...they still are.
- I'm not a very patient person. Patience is my biggest weakness. My tolerance for whining, tantrums, and public displays of toddler insanity, is almost non-existent. I know that this is something I need to work on...because...well...toddlers are emotionally unstable. One minute they are crying, the next they are giggling, followed by screaming. As parents, we must find a way to cope and be patient during these meltdowns.
- I'm terrible at sticking to Md's schedule. Sometimes I change his bedtime, sometimes I put him down for nap, sometimes I don't, and we don't have a specified activity time. This is something I DEFINITELY need to work on. Schedules are so important for toddlers, and it can help avoid the meltdowns mentioned above!
- I swear occasionally...and although language is arbitrary, I should know better than to use profanity around my munchkin.
- I give in too easily. Md knows the perfect time to beg me for something. He will find me at my busiest and beg me until I agree to whatever it is just to keep him quiet. He can be quite the sneaky little booger when he wants to be...and it works! -_-
*Sigh* So there you have it, ladies and gents...of the many strengths and weaknesses I have when it comes to parenting, those above are the ones that stick out in my mind.
I'm not the perfect mother. I don't pretend to be...but I try every day to improve my parenting skills, which I believe can only begin once you know your areas of strength and weakness.
Thanks for reading!